Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Firstly, the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) assists student expenses while studying. It replaces the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS). The ATO provides examples of what HELP includes.
Here are some HELP examples.
- HECS-HELP – for eligible students enrolled in Commonwealth supported places.
- FEE-HELP – for eligible fee-paying students enrolled at an approved higher education provider or Open Universities Australia.
- OS-HELP – for eligible Commonwealth supported students who wish to study overseas.
- VET FEE-HELP – for eligible students undertaking vocational education and training (VET) accredited diploma, advanced diploma, graduate diploma and graduate certificate courses with an approved VET provider.
- SA-HELP – for eligible students enrolled in a course of study with a higher education provider.
Lastly, you start repaying your HELP debt through the tax system when your repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.