What if I don’t have a PAYG?

14th July is the deadline for your employer to issue you a PAYG. If you did not receive a PAYG yet, you have three options.

  1. Contact your employer.
  2. Give the ATO a call.
  3. Lodge without a payment summary. Find out how here.
  • Request a copy of your payment summary from your employer.
  • Request a signed letter from your employer if you lost your PAYG.
  • Review your pay slips.


If you are missing or never received your payment summaries, or if a payment summary contains wrong information, you should first contact your employer.

Ask your payer to give you a signed copy of your payment summary or, if it is incorrect, request a corrected payment summary. If your employer is unable to provide you with a copy of your payment records, contact us, we can help you.

What information do I need to lodge my tax return?

Most importantly, you will need your Tax File Number or TFN. You will need the following tax statement to lodge a tax return for the tax year.


  • Salary and Wages
  • Centrelink
  • Employment Termination Payments (ETP)
  • Superannuation Payments
  • Interest & Dividend
  • Capital Gains & Distributions from Managed Funds
  • Attributed Personal Services Income
  • Business, Rental, and Non-Attributed Personal Services Income
  • Partnerships & Trusts
  • Foreign Income
  • Forestry Managed Investment Scheme
  • Employee Share Scheme
  • Other Income


Learn how to lodge a tax return here.

Can I lodge my Australian tax return before the start of tax season?

Lodge early!

You may be wondering, can I lodge my Australian tax return before the start of the tax season? The ATO accepts early tax return if you’re eligible. You must be:

  1. A foreign resident  who is leaving Australia permanently and will no longer earn income in Australia
  2. An Australian resident who is leaving Australia permanently, cease to be a resident, and no longer earn income in Australia other than interest, dividend and royalty income


As a working holidaymaker, the end of your stay may fall well before the end of the Australian financial year. If this is the case, you will be considered to be leaving Australia permanently and no longer to be deriving an income from Australian sources. (even though you did not qualify as a resident for tax purposes). Under those circumstances, you may file an early tax return.


Do I have to lodge an Australian tax return?

Most individuals must lodge a tax return.

If you were paid a salary or wages during your stay as a backpacker you need to lodge an Australian tax return.


As a working holidaymaker, you are foreign or nonresident for tax purposes and pay taxes on all the income you earn while working in Australia. Your employer withholds taxes from your pay. You are most likely entitled to a refund of the tax you paid.


Determine if you need to lodge here and lodge a tax return today.

Cost of Managing Tax Affairs

Tax Affairs

You can deduct the cost of managing your own tax affairs, such as the following expenses.

  • Preparing and lodging your tax return and activity statements
  • Travel associated with obtaining tax advice
  • Appealing to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal or courts in relation to your tax return
  • Obtaining a valuation needed for a deductible gift of property


You can also deduct the expenses you incur in preparing and lodging your tax return such as the list below.

  • Buying tax reference material
  • Lodging your tax return through a registered agent
  • Obtaining tax advice from a recognized tax adviser
  • Dealing with the ATO about your tax affairs


Also, if the ATO imposes an interest charge on you – for late payment, for example, or the amendment of your tax return – you can deduct the amount of those charges.


You can claim a deduction for your tax affairs by referring to the following steps.