If you receive Employment allowances from your employer in addition to your wages or salary they are assessable income. Generally, it cannot be claimed as a tax deduction. You can only claim the total amount of expenses you incurred, even if the allowance was more.
- Car and travel allowances, including reimbursements of car expenses if any
- Tools, clothing, and laundry allowances
- Meal and entertainment allowances
- Qualifications, such as a first-aid certificate or that required of a safety officer
- Allowances related to specific working conditions, for example, danger, height, dirt level, or time traveled
A few allowances, such as those for travel involving an overnight stay away from your usual place of residence, may be partially deductible.