You can claim a deduction for your textbook expenses by referring to the following steps.
- Towards the top of the page, click the third tab titled “Deductions.”
- Under the title, “Check all that apply,” check the box titled, “Expenses related to Self-Education.”
- Click the green box towards the bottom of the page titled, “Save & Go.”
- On the page titled, “Self-Education,” click on the orange box titled, “Add New Record.”
- Enter your information in the provided fields.
- Select an option that relates most to your situation for the section titled, “Please select one of the following that best describes the majority of the self-education expenses.”
- Under the section titled “Expenses Related to the Course or Program,” select a description from the drop-down menu that most relate to your situation and an amount to correspond.
- Click on the orange box titled, “Add,” after each description and amount entered.
- Under the section titled, “Items to Depreciate (e.g. Computer, Tools, etc.),” click the button titled, “Add New Record.”
- On the page titled, “Depreciation Deduction,” enter your information in the provided fields.
- At the bottom of the page, click the blue box titled, “Click Here To Calculate Your Deduction.” Your self-education expense deduction total will appear.
- Click the green box titled, “Save & Go.”