What if I don’t have a PAYG?

14th July is the deadline for your employer to issue you a PAYG. If you did not receive a PAYG yet, you have three options.

  1. Contact your employer.
  2. Give the ATO a call.
  3. Lodge without a payment summary. Find out how here.
  • Request a copy of your payment summary from your employer.
  • Request a signed letter from your employer if you lost your PAYG.
  • Review your pay slips.


If you are missing or never received your payment summaries, or if a payment summary contains wrong information, you should first contact your employer.

Ask your payer to give you a signed copy of your payment summary or, if it is incorrect, request a corrected payment summary. If your employer is unable to provide you with a copy of your payment records, contact us, we can help you.

What information do I need to lodge my tax return?

Most importantly, you will need your Tax File Number or TFN. You will need the following tax statement to lodge a tax return for the tax year.


  • Salary and Wages
  • Centrelink
  • Employment Termination Payments (ETP)
  • Superannuation Payments
  • Interest & Dividend
  • Capital Gains & Distributions from Managed Funds
  • Attributed Personal Services Income
  • Business, Rental, and Non-Attributed Personal Services Income
  • Partnerships & Trusts
  • Foreign Income
  • Forestry Managed Investment Scheme
  • Employee Share Scheme
  • Other Income


Learn how to lodge a tax return here.

Can I lodge my Australian tax return before the start of tax season?

Lodge early!

You may be wondering, can I lodge my Australian tax return before the start of the tax season? The ATO accepts early tax return if you’re eligible. You must be:

  1. A foreign resident  who is leaving Australia permanently and will no longer earn income in Australia
  2. An Australian resident who is leaving Australia permanently, cease to be a resident, and no longer earn income in Australia other than interest, dividend and royalty income


As a working holidaymaker, the end of your stay may fall well before the end of the Australian financial year. If this is the case, you will be considered to be leaving Australia permanently and no longer to be deriving an income from Australian sources. (even though you did not qualify as a resident for tax purposes). Under those circumstances, you may file an early tax return.


When should I lodge my Australian tax return?

The majority of Australians lodge their taxes during the tax season.

You should try to lodge your tax return during the Australian tax season to avoid the hassle and possible extra cost of filing an early return.

The tax season begins immediately after the end of the financial year and runs from 1 July through 31 October.

The Australian financial or tax year starts on July 1st and concludes on June 30th of the following year.


What Australian income must I pay tax on?

As a non-resident, you must pay tax on all the salary and wage income you earn during your stay in Australia.

The tax owed will most likely have been withheld by your employer. If too much tax was withheld the excess payment will be returned to you for a refund.

You should also expect to pay tax on any allowances or tips you received at work.

You will also pay a 10% tax on the interest you earn from an Australian bank account and a tax on unfranked dividends, if any, of about 30% depending on the circumstances.

Neither interest nor dividends are assessable income, and therefore do not necessitate lodging a tax return. These taxes are withheld instead.

You must make sure to alert the bank paying you interest and the Australian company paying you dividends of your permanent overseas address. If you do not, you will have to pay tax at the higher rate of 45%, instead of 10%, on the income earned.